INSTRUCTOR TRAINEE EDUCATION
What are the requirements to be an instructor of speechreading skills and coping strategies?
The instructor needs:
- A good understanding of hearing loss.
- To have accepted their own hearing loss and resolved their own emotional issues before undergoing training – “help yourself before helping others”.
- Teaching skills that also include lesson preparation.
- Training: to teach classes in speechreading and coping strategies; to determine the individual needs of the students; to lead discussions addressing the issues facing people with hearing loss.
- Empathy towards adults with hearing loss.
Individuals with hearing loss possessing these skills are effective instructors for students relate very well to those who have undergone similar experiences. A good understanding between instructor and students makes it easier to develop a rapport. An instructor with a hearing loss also becomes a role model for students. Having a hearing loss is an asset!
How does the instructor obtain the necessary requirements?
- Attend speechreading classes (offered by CHHA or another agency) and a speechreading instructor training program.
- Become familiar with the SOUND IDEAS DVD.
- Work with and learn from an established instructor (team teaching).
- Connect with CHHA and other instructors for additional information; communication via Skype could be used.
The Level 1 “LET’S TALK” classes include:
- Speechreading training.
- Additional management strategies that include: communication tips for family, friends, etc.; communication in difficult listening situations such as restaurants, meetings, etc.; education about hearing loss, hearing aids, signaling and assistive listening devices (ALDs).
The Level 2 “LET’S TALK SOME MORE” classes include:
- Speechreading practice.
- Legal issues.
- Intimate relationships.
- Medical and drug uses.
- Information about the impact of aging.
- Updates on technical devices such as cochlear implants and assistive listening devices.
- Implanted surgeries.
All of this information will be provided in the 2 manuals and the workshops.