Hearing Awareness Project
- A » Accessible Political Advertising
- B » Batteries
- C » Checklist
- D » Doctors
- E » your E.N.T.
- F » Funding
- G » Groups
- H » Health Care Facilities
- I » Insurance
- J » Job Search
- K » Keys
- L » Legislation
- M » Math & Stats
- N » Nurses
- O » SeniOrs
- P » Partnerships
- Q » Questions
- R » Reports
- S » Symbols
- T » Training
- U » Unhappiness
- V » Videos
- W » Words
- X » X-rays
- Y » Youth
- Z » Zen
Over the years, CHHA has developed or cooperated in the development of a wide range of materials suitable for training hard of hearing individuals and employers, teachers, youth, volunteers, counsellors etc. Our files contain items that can be of use to you in researching, developing, writing, and facilitating workshops of all kinds. You will find below information that is available to you, sometimes free of charge, on many topics currently in our data base. We have also included information about training opportunities available online from other sources.
Many of these resources can be mixed and matched to develop unique workshops to match your goal and audience.
If you are looking for information on topics not listed below, please let us know and we will be happy to help you find the information you need.
- Accessibility, Accommodation and Advocacy
- C is for (Accessibility) Checklist - Free PDF download
- M is for Mathematics and Statistics - Free PDF download
- P is for Partnerships - Free PDF download
- U is for Unhappiness and Complaints - Free PDF download
- Aural Rehabilitation, Speech-reading and Hearing-help Classes
- Sound Ideas - videotape/CD - CHHA Publication
- Let's Talk - More Speechreading Practice and Management Strategies for the Hard of Hearing, 213 pages - CHHA Publication
- Canadian Justice System
- To Be Heard: Guidebook for Instructors of Hard of Hearing Students - CHHA Publication
- Working with Hearing Loss - CHHA Publication
- Financing those aids and devices
- Health Services
- N is for Nurses, Home Health Care Aids, and Orderlies - Free PDF download
- E is for your ENT - Free PDF download
- H is for Health Care Facilities - Free PDF download
- D is for Doctors - Free PDF download
- Sensitivity training
- Unheard Voices - videotape available from CHHA Publications
- Unfair Hearing Test - audio tape available from CHHA Publications
- Hearing Loss Awareness Seminar - training package, available from CHHA Publications (also available in French)
- To Hear Again - a training/resource manual for volunteer visitors and other caregivers to hard of hearing and deafened seniors. CHHA Publication (also available in French)
- You're a Leader - Leadership development for hard of hearing youth and facilitators - CHHA Publication
- Other resources
- Posters - Free posters are available from CHHA Publications
- Access stickers - available from CHHA Publications
- CHHA Fridge Magnets - available from CHHA Publications
- CHHA Pens - available from CHHA Publications
Examples of awareness/training workshops that could be provided
- Training for Frontline Staff
- This an intensive half-day course providing background knowledge to assist frontline staff offering services to hard of hearing and deafened customers or clients.
- Participants will: Understand the needs of hard-of-hearing and deafened people with or without hearing aids. Be able to apply effective communication techniques. Be aware of other supportive services and equipment aids to assist persons with hearing loss.
- A Certificate of Competence can be awarded to students who successfully complete the course.
- Training for interested individuals is provided at specially arranged one-day courses.
- Training for Care Staff
- This is an intensive one-day course providing background knowledge and practical skills appropriate to care of the elderly with a hearing loss. Participants will be able to:
- Clean, re-tube and change batteries of standard hearing aids.
- Understand the different types of hearing aids and devices.
- Be able to apply effective communication techniques with hard of hearing clients.
- Be aware of other supportive services and equipment aids to assist deafened and hard of hearing impaired people.
- Differentiate between the differing degrees of hearing loss and relevant needs.
- A Certificate of Competence is awarded to students who successfully complete the course.
Available On-line training
Become a Hearing Loss Support Specialist. This new program will provide online education for those who work with people with hearing loss. Successful completion of this program will lead to the certificate in Hearing Loss Support, and membership in the Academy. The Academy offers an online, self-paced, distance-learning program for adults. The curriculum is being written and coordinated by SHHH staff, the Academy Advisory Board and other leaders in the field. Go to http://www.hearingloss.org/academy/ for more information.
Hearing Awareness Exercises available as free downloads
Hearing Impairment: A set of 6 Exercises designed for library staff training but applicable to all situations where front line staff deal with face to face communication with persons with hearing loss.
- Activity 1 - What does it mean to have a hearing impairment?
- Activity 2 - Strategies for communicating
- Activity 3 - Recognizing hearing loss
- Activity 4 - Making it easier to lip-read
- Activity 5 - Discrimination and deafness
- Activity 6 - Survival Exercise
Copyright © 2009 the Canadian Hard of Hearing Association (CHHA)
Direct commercial exploitation is not permitted. No warranty of accuracy is given concerning the contents of the information contained in this publication. To the extent permitted by law, no liability (including liability to any person by reason of negligence) will be accepted by CHHA its subsidiaries or employees for any direct, or indirect loss or damage caused by omissions from or inaccuracies in this document. CHHA reserves the right to change details in this publication without notice.